How to setup and use MetaMask
This is a guide on how to setup and use the MetaMask browser extension. MetaMask is a browser extension that allows you to interact with the Ethereum blockchain. With it, you can send, receive and store Ethereum as well as sign transactions and also interact with decentralized applications (DApps), such as CryptoKitties, on the Ethereum blockchain. Now let's walk though how to setup and use MetaMask.
• Go here to go to MetaMask's main page and click the 'Get Extension' button.
• Next click the 'Add to Chrome' button to add the extension to your browser.
• You should then see the extension added to the top right of your browser.
Setting up MetaMask
• Once the extension is added you will be brought to the MetaMask start page. Click 'Get Started' to begin.
• Next click 'Create a Wallet'. You will be asked if it's of for MetaMask to gather analytics from your use. You can go ahead and press 'No Thanks'.
• Next you will need to copy down the secret backup phrase. Make sure to store it in a safe place and don't share it with anyone!!
• On the next page you will have to confirm your seed phrase. Click the words in the order of your phrase. Then click 'Confirm' then click 'All Done'
• Click the little fox emblem at the top right of your browser to open up MetaMask.
• From the main screen you are able to send/deposit Ethereum, see your recent history and see your current network.
Depositing Ethereum to MetaMask
In order to buy and interact with your CryptoKitties you will have to get some Ether.
• You can buy Ethereum here from Coinbase. Click 'Get Started' and walk through the steps to create an account.
• Once you have bought Ethereum, go to the 'Accounts' tab in Coinbase and click the 'Send' button by your Ethereum address. Copy in your MetaMask address, type the amount that you would like to send and then click 'Send'. The Ether should arrive in your MetaMask account in a few minutes.
• You can copy your Ethereum address from MetaMask by clicking the 'Account 1' near the top of the page. Your Ethereum address will automatically be copied to your clipboard.
Connecting to CryptoKitties
• Go here to go to the CryptoKitties website.
• Click the 'Start' button at the top right of the page to begin. MetaMask notification will pop up and prompt for your password. Enter your password and click 'Log In'.
• Next CryptoKitties will ask to connect with your account. Click 'Connect'.
• You will then be prompted to create an account. Enter you email address and a username then click 'Continue'.
• The last step is to sign the signature request. Click 'Sign' to finish.
• You now have setup your MetaMask and you're ready to buy some Ethereum to start interacting with CryptoKitties. Press the button below to begin.